If you're trying to consider whether coming to Convention 2019 (and bring your significant other), here are just a few of the things that will be happening.*
PRE-CONVENTION - Fun Activities:
THE REDPATH WATERFRONT FESTIVAL
A Fleet of Majestic Tall Ships
|The festival is free both days and located at Harbourfront and behind the Amsterdam Brewery (which we all know well). There's a fee for boarding some of the tall ships (one fee for all ships) that will be docked. $20 CAD - Coupon available on link above. Don't miss the Bluenose II (look at the Canadian dime.... it's the Bluenose I), Pride of Baltimore II, and others; free to board the HMCS Oriole (sail training vessel of the Royal Canadian Navy and is based in Halifax, Nova Scotia) and the CCGS Griffon (Canadian Coast Guard multi-tasked vessel - light icebreaker).|
- Monday Night Harbour Cruise on Lake Ontario to view Canada Day (Canadian “4th of July”) fireworks.
- Tuesday morning day trip to Niagara Falls with a guided tour (back in time for baseball game).
- Tuesday morning ferry ride to Toronto Island to play Miniature Golf (back in time for baseball game).
- Tuesday night Blue Jays v. Red Sox game.
- Stay in a Downtown Hotel (at a reduce rate) right on Lake Ontario, close to most of Toronto’s best tourist sites including the CN Tower, ROM and many museums, the Hockey Hall of Fame, public spaces and parks, and worldclass shopping.
CONVENTION KEYNOTE SPEAKERS - A Variety of Topics:
- Chancellor Arnold Eisen - Head of the Jewish Theological Seminary.
- Rabbi Daniel Cohen - Author of “What will they say about you when you are gone?” He is an inspiring motivational speaker who provides, “a compelling narrative and navigational guide for your life.”
- Rabbi Mark Borovitz - Author of “The Holy Thief: A con man’s journey from Darkness to light.” He is an ex-former convict, recovering addict, and the Senior Rabbi of Beit T’shuvah a center for addiction recovery in Los Angeles.
- Paul Godfrey - Former president of the Toronto Blue Jays, recently retired Canadian media mogul, and key figure in building Toronto Sky Dome (now Rogers Centre), former Metropolitan Toronto Chairman - the “super mayor” of all five cities that made up Toronto before they were amalgamated.
- The Always-Popular Cantor’s Concert - This not-to-be-missed event will be led by an all-star team of Chazzanim including Alberto Mizrahi, Joanna Dulkin, Zach Mondrow, Steve Hevenstone and more!
“INSPIRING” - Jewish/Ritual/Observance:
- Sex in the Torah - what you didn’t learn in Sunday School.
- Training to lead a Mindfulness Service/Tefilat Haneshama.
- How to improve your home observance/ritual.
- End of life and Judaism.
- How to lead a Birkat Hamazon.
- The “Davening Dance/Barachu Ballet” - everything you wanted to know about the choreography of praying.
“SERIOUS” - FJMC/Men’s Club and Other Programs and Training:
- Hearing Men’s Voices (HMV) sessions, including basic and advanced HMV training.
- HMV sessions on end of life, mental health, and others.
- Succession Planning for club and region.
- Fundraising for clubs and regions.
- Marketing your club or region.
- Variety of sessions from “nuts and bolts” on how to do certain FJMC related things such as Yellow Candles, World Wide Wrap, and others.
- Authors of books on: Being a Man in a Relationship; and on Jewish soldiers guarding POWs in World War II.
“FUN” - Enjoyable, Unique, and, Well...Fun:
- Jewish Genealogy - how to get started.
- Poker Basics.
- After-Hours Karaoke.
- Enjoying spirits/whiskey.
- Poker Tournament.
- International Kiddush Club Meeting.
- All that Downtown Toronto has to offer including Harbourfront Park, an urban national park with art spaces, concerts, walking paths and ethnic shopping, along with incredible nightlife.
RUACH - Be a Part of the Shul You’ve Always Wanted to be a Member of:
- More Ruach than you’ve experienced, including summer camp.
- The most engaging and spiritual services you’ve ever been to.
- Multiple services including:
- Learner’s services
- Mindfulness/mediative services
- Alternative services
- Traditional services
- Lay led and professional led services.
- Services you’ll REALLY want to attend.
SPOUSE PROGRAMMING - Bring your Significant Other to Toronto and Enjoy what this Cosmopolitan City has to offer, such as:
- High Tea
- The CN Tower
- Bata Shoe Museum
- Art Gallery of Ontario
- Kensington Market (Jewish area)
- Ripley’s Aquarium
- Ceramics Museum
- Hockey Hall of Fame
- Casa Loma Castle
- World-Class Shopping
- A hotel right on Lake Ontario (at a great price), close to nearly everything Toronto has to offer.
*Note: Please note that these are our current plans and unexpected things can happen that we cannot control so please understand if we have to make changes.